Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Immigration Debate

I'm sure everyone has heard all about Arizona's bill about illegal immigration, since cities and state all over are boycotting or threatening to boycott AZ over this. Los Angeles' boycott is kind of a joke to me, since it's got so many illegals they appear to be pandered to. I lived in the LA area for 20 years, and one thing that always got me was that I had to have insurance in case I got into an accident involving an illegal because they did not have papers of any kind (i.e. a drivers license, registration, etc) and therefore did not have the legally required insurance. So, even though I had to carry X-amount of liability in order to register my car, and pay for damage if I hit somebody, if somebody hit me I couldn't count on them being financially responsible because they didn't have to be. This is just the tip of the immigration iceberg. The plain truth is that without papers illegals get benefits that are actually denied to citizens and legal residents. This is not about being prejudiced, this is about the harsh reality that we can't take care of the whole world just because they manage to sneak in.
I have sympathy for illegals, I do. I get that many are fleeing from what they feel is an intolerable situation, and they feel there is no where else to go. But the plain truth is that we do not have the resources to take of this, and they in many cases do not contribute to the very resources they access.
I don't claim to know what the answer to this issue is, but I don't see how my state deciding to enforce existing Federal law is evil. This is a law that already exists. I have friends who are here legally and they have to carry resident alien ID at all times. Why is it asking to much that we follow laws of this land, and punish those that are in actuality breaking them by their very presence?

No comments:

Post a Comment