Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Reading problem solved...I hope

My youngest daughter has a problem with reading. She's never been real good at it, and this year, her reading grade tanked. Obviously something is very wrong.
What is wrong, it turns out, is something called Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome or Irlen's Syndrome. It's where you seem to have a problem processing what you see, and a clear colored overlay can help.
It's funny, I asked my daughter if the letters were moving when she read, and she told me no. I thought she might be Dyslexic. She was tested for this, and she came home and said "Mommy, the letters stopped moving" I asked her what she meant, since she had told me they weren't. What she said was telling. "Mommy, I didn't know they were moving until they stopped." Huh.
So, now I need to find out all I can about this, so that I can help her catch up. She came home today and we read the Ramona book we are working on and she didn't get tired of reading 5 minutes in. There's a whole list of symptoms, like trouble tracking, losing your place, headaches, trying to read in dim light. It's really odd. There's no medical test for this, you have to be screened by someone who knows what they are doing, and apparently this diagnosis comes with some controversy.I don't care. She's reading better. It works for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment