Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why does a bike ride hurt so much?

Today I was going to go get on the treadmill for half an hour when my son asked me to go for a bike ride with him. He'd gotten a new bike for his birthday, so I agreed. After half an hour or so of getting air in my bike tires we set off...we went barely a mile before my lungs wanted to explode and my legs hurt. When I was a kid I used to bike everywhere, and now I can barely get around the block. I guess I need to spend more time on my bike in the future. It was either a great workout or I'm really a wimp since I was so wiped out afterward I slept for 2 hours.
Everyone else was busy today. We've had so much rain the yard is out of control so DH and the kids did the mowing. This involves about 2 hours and a riding mower. (We live on 5 acres, and we mow 2 and a half of it, the rest is to full of big bushes and stuff)
The only thing I accomplished today is getting my math homework and a quiz done. I got 100% on the homework and 85% on the quiz. Not bad for someone who can hardly add. I am actually going to pass this class, maybe even with a decent grade rather than a C or something. Not that I don't think C is a decent grade, it's fine, but that's the minimum needed to go to the next class. For me getting a B or better is a marvelous thing, since I really stink at math and this class has been a lot of hard work. It's the first of three classes I need to get my degree, and I have to do well in them. Most of my other classes are fairly easy for me. I read the info, I apply it, and move on. Math is tough because no only does it involves numbers it builds on itself. If you don't get one part it can mess up the rest. If I keep plugging away and doing as well as I am I might pull a B in the class. That would be a first.
Tomorrow the kids will be off school for a teacher in-service day. So I get an extra day to be with them. Next week the MIL visits from California, and I'm taking a vacation day, so another day to see my family. I have to admit right now my hours are getting to me a little. By the time I really start to hate it school will be out and I'll see the kids every day and it will stop bugging me for a while. I have told DH he needs to get more clients so I can go to school full time. I would like to finish all this a little quicker, since I'm going to be 40 in January. I know my grandfather started med school at 42, and age is just a number, but I feel like I need to get this done in a regular amount of time, rather than the 6 years it may take me going part time. And that's just for my Bachelor's degree. Although it would be easier with a different schedule. I can make it work with this one for a while though. I can finish my AA degree while I work at this, then figure out something else when I have to. besides, by the time I have to do my last 2 years things might have changed and my schedule might be more flexible, it's not something to worry about now.
It's funny when I realize that my oldest and I might be in college together though.

No comments:

Post a Comment