Saturday, February 28, 2009

Garage Sales and Thrift Stores

Let's face it, everybody is out of money. Jobs are going, expenses are going up, and some people are still struggling to keep their houses during this mortgage mess. It's not a pretty picture.
While it's getting pretty bad, there's a part of me that is beginning to see this recession as a positive thing. Many people began to get expectations that were way to high, borrowing against houses for toys we once thought were for the very rich, getting their kids clothes and toys that cost a fortune to but and use. That can't really happen anymore. We are being forced to learn to live in a manner we can afford, and continue to afford. This is not a bad thing.
For example, not long ago, when people found out that I got the majority of my kids' clothes at thrift stores or garage sales, they wondered why I didn't just charge them or shop sales. I still get asked why I don't shop sales. The truth is that if I am careful, watch labels, and haggle, I can get good clothes at a fraction of the sale price. Exibit A, a pair of American Eagle jeans, with the $80 price tag, for $5. Not kidding. I do shop sales for groceries and other things I might not be able to find otherwise, but overall I stick to used.
Besides, for those who like to shop, thrift stores can be a lot of fun. My daughter and I routinely hit one of our local stores and usually find a few items worth bringing home, like and Eddie Bauer shirt dress or a pair of slacks with a matching vest. My daughter wears that to school on a regular basis and everyone tells her how cute it is.
I do buy some things new. For example, I get sneakers new a lot, since kids tend to beat them up pretty badly before they outgrow them in the sizes I need. I get my son's jeans or pants new....He's tall and weedy, and I don't see pants long enough and skinny enough for him to wear very often, I do buy them when I see them at thrift store or yard sales, but it's rare.
Certain things are just gross to buy used. Trust me on this.
Books are better used. I'd much rather pay 25 or 50 cents for a book than $12. (I do buy the odd book new though.)
Just imagine what we could save just with an open mind, and the money we'd have for things that we think are more important. There is a difference between needs and luxuries. (14 kids through in-vitro is a luxury. End of Story.) Getting your nails done in acrylics and their upkeep? Luxury. $80 jeans luxury, unless you find the deal I did.
Ironically, I bought my middle daughter a pair of jeans at a garage sale recently. They wanted $8 for them. I asked them to take five. The woman looked at me and said "I paid $75 for them in Phoenix." My response? "Okay" and walking away. I got the jeans at my price. Plus 2 books, a cute evening bag, and a tote bag for my other daughter. Total cost: $12 . Getting your kid the bag she wanted to get at Disneyland last year at a cost of $2? Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment